The 32 week coursework component of the Professional Year is broken up into eight topics. Each topic is delivered over four weeks^: two weeks of classroom sessions, one week of internship preparation (interviews, CV writing and digital portfolio development) and one week filled with workplace simulated activities.
Bring your own device (BYOD)
With increased use of educational tools throughout the Navitas Professional Year coursework, participants will need to bring their own device (e.g. laptops, tablets) during training sessions in order to fulfill work-simulated activities.
BYOD - minimum requirements
- Processor: i3 Processor
- RAM: 8GB
- Hard Drive: 128GB SSD (256GB SSD recommended if not using Cloud storage)
- Display: 13 inch full HD (1920 x 1080) with a built-in webcam
- Device must be fully charged
Navitas Professional Year job preparation topics are:
Topic 1: Australian workplace culture
Topic 2: Working with diversity/Making a presentation
Topic 3: Customer service and research skills
Topic 4: Networking skills
Topic 5: Business meetings
Topic 6: Workplace relationships
Topic 7: Innovation
Topic 8: Emloyability skills^
^Topic 8: Employability skills is 2 weeks only.
Embedded within the job preparation topics is the BSB40215 - Certificate IV in Business and it is a nationally accredited course under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
With this qualification, participants use well-developed skills and a broad knowledge base to apply solutions to a defined range of unpredictable problems and analyse information from a variety of sources. Participants may provide leadership and guidance to others with limited responsibility for the output of others.
The BSB40215 - Certificate IV in Business comprises of ten units of competency which must be completed to achieve the qualification.
Units of competency
- BSBWHS401 Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs to meet legislative requirements
- BSBADM405 Organise meetings
- BSBWRT401 Write complex documents
- BSBCUS402 Address customer needs
- BSBRES401 Analyse and present research information
- BSBREL401 Establish networks
- BSBINN301 Promote innovation in a team environment
- BSBCMM401 Make a presentation
- BSBLDR402 Lead effective workplace relationships
- BSBDIV301 Work effectively with diversity
Program enhancements for Professional Year Program participants
The simulated workplace requires you to attend class dressed appropriately for the workplace. Business attire is compulsory during these sessions. Your trainer will become your workplace manager where you will complete work related activities that utilise educational technology tools. These tools include video conferencing, infographics, video editing software, google apps, screencast development and blog creation tools.
These activities are designed to build your employability skills (e.g. communication, problem solving, teamwork and digital literacy skills) required in a contemporary Australian work environment.
Throughout your internship preparation and workplace simulation component, you will develop a digital portfolio of practical projects, showcasing your office skills from your work related activities. Build your digital brand by choosing your best projects to show future employers on your very own, personalised website.
For the duration of your enrolment, all Navitas Professional Year participants are granted unlimited access to LinkedIn’s online training platform Lynda.com. Time will be allocated during internship preparation or simulated workplace sessions to access Lynda.com.
Lynda.com will give you access to various learning programs to build skills in:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Project
- MYOB and
With more than 5,000 high quality software, creative, and business skills courses available; we encourage you to complete as many of them as possible to post your completion certificates on LinkedIn and continue your professional development outside of the classroom.
Advanced courses for Professional Year in Engineering
The below non-compulsory courses are available only to participants of the Professional Year in Engineering:
- Fundamentals of Project Management – a new online course covering the same core concepts as Course BSB41513 Certificate IV in Project Management Practice delivered by Engineering Education Australia.
Please note: Course BSB41513 Certificate IV in Project Management Practice is superseded.
- Clear English pronunciation course delivered by Star Pronunciation – a 15-week program delivered online
- Access to Engineers Australia’s online training platform, myCPD. Students will be given complimentary credits to access high quality courses on topics ranging from technical skills, career development and becoming a chartered engineer.