The 32 week coursework component of the Professional Year is broken up into ten topics that aim to make participants prepared for the Australian workforce.
Job preparation topics:
Topic 1: Australian workplace culture
Topic 2: Business writing
Topic 3: Prepare a tailored job application
Topic 4: Workplace relationships
Topic 5: Interview preparation
Topic 6: Professional performance
Topic 7: Reporting to managers
Topic 8: Presentations
Topic 9: Workplace communication
Topic 10: Performance in business meetings
Embedded within the job preparation topics is the BSB40215 - Certificate IV in Business. This qualification has been designed by the business industry skills council, Innovation and Business Skills Australia (IBSA), to specify the national standards in Australian business.
The BSB40215 - Certificate IV in Business comprises of ten units of competency which must be completed to achieve the qualification.
Units of competency
- BSBWHS401 Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs to meet legislative requirements
- BSBADM405 Organise meetings
- BSBWRT401 Write complex documents
- BSBCUS402 Address customer needs
- BSBRES401 Analyse and present research information
- BSBREL401 Establish networks
- BSBINN301 Promote innovation in a team environment
- BSBCMM401 Make a presentation
- BSBLDR402 Lead effective workplace relationships
- BSBDIV301 Work effectively with diversity
Program enhancements for Professional Year in Engineering
The below non-compulsory program enhancements are available only to participants of the Professional Year in Engineering:
- Project Management Essentials – a new online course covering the same core concepts as Course BSB41513 Certificate IV in Project Management Practice delivered by Engineering Education Australia.
Please note: Course BSB41513 Certificate IV in Project Management Practice is superseded.
- Clear English pronunciation course delivered by Star Pronunciation – a 15-week program delivered online
- Access to Engineers Australia’s online training platform, myCPD. Students will be given complimentary credits to access high quality courses on topics ranging from technical skills, career development and becoming a chartered engineer.